Apply for Phase II
Interested in applying for Phase II funding? Review this information before starting your application. Please note: New SBIR/STTR Phase II proposals are not being accepted until the next solicitation is released in early November. Read the last solicitation if you’d like to get a sense of what’s needed when you create your full proposal.
Eligibility and the basics
- Only recent NSF SBIR and STTR Phase I awardees may apply for Phase II funding.
- The purpose of Phase II is to provide funding to continue the research and development you began in Phase I.
- You are permitted to submit only one Phase II proposal per Phase I award.
- If your Phase II application is declined, you won’t be able to resubmit it.
- As of summer 2020, Phase II awards are funded up to $1 million for up to 24 months.
You must submit a technical narrative as a component of your Phase II proposal.
If you choose to submit your Phase II proposal after the Phase I project ends, the final report will fulfill this requirement.
If you submit your Phase II proposal before the Phase I project ends, an interim report, based on the format discussed above and covering all relevant progress made to date, should be included.
To make the Phase II application process as smooth as possible, the final report or interim report should be prepared offline and uploaded as a stand-alone PDF file.
- A company may generally submit a Phase II proposal anytime between six (6) months and two years (24 months) after the start date of the relevant Phase I award. Details can be found in the Phase II solicitation.
- You’ll need to submit your Phase II SBIR or STTR proposal through Research.gov.
- If you’re an STTR Phase I awardee, you can now submit a SBIR Phase II proposal (or vice-versa). More information on switching from STTR to SBIR.
Administrative and financial capability reviews
- If your Phase II proposal is considered potentially meritorious for funding, you will be required to undergo an administrative and financial capability review in the latter stages of the Phase II review process
- These videos also explain the review processes and how to prepare for them.
- Revisit the Merit Review Criteria.
- View the Proposal Preparation and Submission Instructions in the Phase II Solicitation.
- Reference the Phase II Solicitation guidance on determining salaries for Phase II personnel.
- You will need to upload a filled version of the “Project Schedule” as part of your Phase II proposal. The template to use is found here: Phase II SBIR-STTR Project Schedule.
Terms and conditions and reporting requirements
The Phase II award is now a fixed amount cooperative agreement with different award terms and conditions, and reporting requirements. More details regarding both award terms and reporting requirements will be available through the solicitation in the coming months.