Apply for Phase II
Interested in applying for Phase II funding? Review this information before starting your application.
Eligibility and the basics
- Only recent NSF SBIR and STTR Phase I awardees may apply for Phase II funding.
- The purpose of Phase II is to provide funding to continue the research and development you began in Phase I.
- You are permitted to submit only one Phase II proposal per Phase I award.
- If your Phase II application is declined, you won’t be able to resubmit it.
- As of summer 2020, Phase II awards are funded up to $1 million for up to 24 months.
- This amount includes up to $50,000 to be used by the Phase II awardee for commercial assistance under the SBIR Technical and Business Assistance (TABA) legislation for details.
You must submit a technical narrative as a component of your Phase II proposal.
If you choose to submit your Phase II proposal after the Phase I project ends, the final report will fulfill this requirement.
If you submit your Phase II proposal before the Phase I project ends, an interim report, based on the format discussed above and covering all relevant progress made to date, should be included.
To make the Phase II application process as smooth as possible, the final report or interim report should be prepared offline and uploaded as a stand-alone PDF file.
- A company may submit a Phase II proposal anytime between six (6) months and two years (24 months) after the start date of the relevant Phase I award. The start date can be found on your Phase I award letter.
All SBIR/STTR Phase I awardees with Phase I start dates between December 4, 2018, and December 4, 2019, will have a three-month extension to submit their Phase II proposal. The Phase II submission deadline will be extended by three months to be 27 months (rather than 24 months). In other words, if your award date was:
- December 4, 2018: your new Phase II proposal deadline is March 4, 2021.
- January 1, 2019: your new Phase II proposal deadline is April 1, 2021.
- February 1, 2019: your new Phase II proposal deadline is May 1, 2021.
- Proposals that have already been submitted will not be affected by this change.
- A company may submit a Phase II proposal anytime between six (6) months and two years (24 months) after the start date of the relevant Phase I award. The start date can be found on your Phase I award letter. To extend flexibility to small businesses during the COVID-19 crisis, all Phase I companies that received their Phase I with an award start date between March 15, 2018 and December 3, 2018 will have until December 3, 2020 to submit an SBIR/STTR Phase II proposal. (Phase I companies that received their Phase I award after December 3, 2018, are not eligible for this extension).
- You’ll need to submit your Phase II SBIR or STTR proposal through FastLane.
- If you’re an STTR Phase I awardee, you can now submit a SBIR Phase II proposal. More information on switching from STTR to SBIR.
Administrative and financial capability reviews
- At the start of your Phase I award, review important information to know regarding Phase II SBIR/STTR administrative and financial capability reviews.
- These videos also explain the review processes and how to prepare for them.
- Revisit the Merit Review Criteria.
- View the Proposal Preparation and Submission Instructions in the Phase II Solicitation.
- Reference the Phase II Solicitation guidance on determining salaries for Phase II personnel.
Terms and conditions and reporting requirements
The Phase II award is now a fixed amount cooperative agreement with different award terms and conditions, and reporting requirements. More details regarding both award terms and reporting requirements will be available through the solicitation in the coming months.