Before you attempt to extend your project, please review the following information. Please note that you (as an awardee) can’t grant yourself a no-cost extension.
Requirements for a no-cost extension
Here are the requirements for a no-cost extension, excerpted from the NSF’s Grant Proposal Guide:
- You must submit your request to NSF at least 45 days prior to your award’s expiration date. Your request must explain why you need the extension and include an estimate of the unobligated funds remaining and a plan for how you’ll use them. Having unobligated funds when your award expires isn’t in itself a sufficient justification for an extension.
- Your plan must follow the previously approved objectives of the project. Any NSF-approved no-cost extension will be issued by an NSF Grants Officer in the form of an amendment to your award and will specify a new expiration date. Please do not make new commitments or incur new expenses after your award’s expiration date in anticipation of a no-cost extension.
Instructions for requesting a no-cost extension
- From the Research.gov homepage, navigate to the Awards & Reporting column and select the Notifications & Requests option.
- Enter your login information (last name, NSF ID, and password) and select log in.
- On the
Notifications & Requestsscreen, select Prepare New from the top of the page.
- On the next screen, select the
No-Cost Extensionsradio button in Step 1. In Step 2, select
No-Cost Extensionfrom the drop-down menu.
- On the next screen, enter information in the following fields:
Revised end datedrop-down menu
Remaining fundstext field
Justification for NSF-approved no-cost extensiontext field
Plan for use of unobligated fundstext field
If applicable, please also fill in the
Explanation for late requesttext field.
- Click the
Save & Submit to NSFbutton at the bottom of the page.