PI change request
In the event that your Principal Investigator changes during your award term, you’ll need to complete a PI change request. Please follow these instructions to do so.
On the FastLane homepage, click on the Proposals, Awards, & Status link (located on the left hand-side of the page). Then, do the following:
- Enter your login information (last name, SSN, and password).
- The Principal Investigator (PI)/Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI) Management screen will appear. Select the Award and Reporting Functions option from the menu.
- The next screen provides Awards & Reporting Function options. Select the Notifications and Requests option.
- From the drop-down list that appears, select the appropriate award number and then click the Prepare New button.
- The Notifications and Requests screen will appear for the selected award, and your award information will be displayed at the top of the screen. Scroll down to the Types of Grantee Request (Need NSF Approval).
- The Change of PI screen will appear.
- Find the field labeled Proposed SSN#, enter the SSN of the proposed PI in that field, and click the Check button. Your proposed PI must be registered with FastLane. If they are registered with FastLane, the system will automatically fill in the name of the PI associated with the SSN you just entered.
- Once you’ve filled in the proposed PI’s name in the appropriate field, the Biographical Sketch and Current & Pending Support sections will become active. Upload the appropriate documents. Once you’ve uploaded the bios and support documents, the justification section will become active. Enter the appropriate information.
- Save your work.
- After saving, the buttons at the bottom of the screen should become active. This will allow you to perform the following actions: Modify Request, Delete Request, Cancel, and Forward to SPO.
- Click Forward to SPO to submit your request to NSF.
- Prepare your justification based on the requirements of the Grant Proposal Guide (GPG). Here’s a helpful excerpt from the GPG:
In the event the grantee desires to continue the project with a substitute PI/PD, the Authorized Organizational Representative should advise the NSF Program Officer of the substitute PI/PD’s name, qualifications, and current and pending support for research from all sources. The recommended substitute PI/PD shall countersign the notification letter to the NSF Program Officer from the Authorized Organizational Representative nominating the substitute PI/PD. If approved by NSF, the Grants Officer will amend the grant. If not approved, NSF may take steps, pursuant to GPM 910, “Suspension and Termination Procedures,” to suspend or terminate the grant.
- Complete the following fields:
- Proposed PI SSN: Enter the SSN of the new PI. Click on the Check PI button to verify the new PI’s SSN. If correct, the new PI’s name will appear.
- Effective Date: Enter the effective date in mm/dd/yyyy format.
- Justification for Request: Type (or cut and paste) the you’re requesting a change of PI.
- Biographical Sketch File Location: Enter the name and location of the file. If you do not know the location of the file, click on the Browse button. The File Upload window will appear. Select the file to be uploaded and click Open. The screen will refresh with the filename and path. Upload the file.
- The PDF Conversion/Compliance Check screen will appear. When the upload is completed, the File Successfully Converted/Checked screen will appear. Click on the Proofread PDF button. A new window (with the converted PDF document) will appear.
- After reviewing this document for accuracy, close this window. The Proofreading Complete screen will appear. If the PDF document isn’t correct, click Cancel. If the PDF document is correct, click Save.
Change of PI request from PI to SRO
- Select Forward to SRO to submit the request. The Change of PI Request Verification screen will appear.
- Select Forward to SPO again to confirm the action.
- If your forward was successful, you’ll see a FORWARDED message onscreen:
Forwarded Add Co-PI/Change of PI/Co-PI to SPO
Award #: XXXXXXX
The Request for a Add Co-PI/Change of PI/Co-PI has been successfully Forwarded to SPO.
- Click on the Search Prepared by PI List to return to the Notifications and Requests screen.
Log into FastLane SRO functions
- On the FastLane homepage, select Research Administration (on the left hand-side of the page).
- Enter your login information (last name, SSN, password) and select the Research Administration Functions radio button. Click Login and the Research Administration screen will appear.
- Select Notifications and Requests. A screen with three tabs — Forwarded by PI, Prepared by SPO, and Submitted to NSF — will appear.
- The Forwarded by PI tab automatically appears first. The lower portion of the screen contains a row of information that begins with an award number and PI name.
- To review the request information, simply click on any of the words in that row.
Change of PI request from SRO to NSF
- The end of the row contains Submit and Delete links. Click Submit to send the request to NSF.
- Click the Sign and Submit button to approve the change. The Change of PI Request — Verification screen will appear.
- Click the Go Back Notifications and Requests button to return to the Notifications and Requests screen.
- Finally, email an updated milestone chart to the proper NSF Program Manager.
If you have problems or questions, please contact the FastLane Help Desk at 800-673-6188.