Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 3,000 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2014, our awardees have had 97 exits and have received approximately $7.2 billion in private investment. We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Novan, Inc.
- Ekso Bionics, Inc.
- Persimmon Technologies Corporation
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Bolt Threads (formerly Refactored Materials, Inc.)
Advanced Manufacturing (M)
- XPEED Turbine Technology LLC
- Branch Technology LLC
- Elementum 3D
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- unspun, Inc.
- 3DEO, Inc.
- Big Blue Technologies LLC
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Cybermanufacturing (M3)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M4)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M5)
- Modeling and Simulation (M6)
- Personalized Manufacturing / Maker Manufacturing / Maker to Manufacturer (M7)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology / Circular Economy Technologies (M8)
- Transportation Technologies (M9)
- Other Manufacturing Technologies (M10)
Advanced Materials (AM)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (AM1)
- Materials for Sustainability (AM2)
- Metals and Ceramics (AM3)
- Novel Advanced Materials-based Sensors (AM4)
- Specialized Functional Materials (AM5)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (AM6)
- Other Advanced Materials Technologies (AM7)
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- AI-Optimized Hardware (AI1)
- Business Intelligence (AI2)
- Computer Vision, Image and Video Processing (AI3)
- Decision Management and Optimization (AI4)
- eCommerce (AI5)
- Education Technologies (AI6)
- Human-Computer Interaction (AI7)
- Industrial Systems, including Robotics (A18)
- Language-Based Technologies (AI9)
- Machine Learning Algorithms and Platforms (A10)
- Medical Diagnostics (AI11)
- Sales, Advertising, and Marketing (AI12)
- Security, Cybersecurity, and Authentication (AI13)
- Smart Agriculture (AI14)
- Vehicle-Based Systems (AI15)
- Virtual Agents and Assistants (AI16)
- Other AI Technologies (AI17)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Antheia, Inc.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Enable Biosciences Inc
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- Navan Technologies Inc.
- Lygos Inc.
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- Animal Biotechnology (BT1)
- Bioinstruments (BT2)
- Biosensors (BT3)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT4)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT5)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT6)
- Food Processing and Safety Technology (BT7)
- Life Science Research Tools (BT8)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BT9)
- Plant Biotechnology (BT10)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT11)
- Other Biological Technologies (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- Elidah, Inc.
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, LLC
- OneBreath, Inc.
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- CytoVale, Inc
- BriteSeed, LLC
- Camras Vision, Inc.
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- Diagnostic Assays (BM1)
- Medical Imaging (BM2)
- Monitoring Devices (BM3)
- Other Biomedical Technologies (BM4)
Chemical Technologies (CT)
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Dimensional Energy Inc.
- Saratoga Energy Research Partners LLC
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Biochemicals (CT1)
- Catalysts, Advanced Chemicals and Materials (CT2)
- Chemical and Environmental Sensing and Data (CT3)
- Food Processing, Chemicals and Agriculture (CT4)
- Green Chemicals and Chemical Alternatives (CT5)
- Separations and Water Treatment (CT6)
- Other Chemical Technologies (CT7)
Digital Health (DH)
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- Care Progress, LLC
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- Clinical Decision Support (DH1)
- Healthcare System Workflow (DH2)
- Medical Diagnostics (DH3)
- Personalized Software Systems (DH4)
- Other Digital Health (DH5)
Distributed Ledger (DL)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies; Smart Contracts (DL1)
- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next Gen Protocols (DL2)
- Convergence with Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence (DL3)
- Convergence with Internet of Things, Crowdsourcing and Crowdsensing (DL4)
- Cryptography; Security; Cybersecurity (DL5)
- Distributed Consensus; Fault Tolerance Mechanisms (DL6)
- Distributed Ledger in Edge and Cloud Computing (DL7)
- Distributed Ledger Interoperability (DL8)
- Distributed Ledger in Network Architecture and Management (DL9)
- Financial Technologies (DL10)
- Human-to-Technology Interface; Decentralized Applications (dApps) (DL11)
- Scalability Solutions; Accumulators (DL12)
- Trusted Identity; Identity Management (DL13)
- Other Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL14)
Energy Technologies (EN)
- Energy Efficiencies, and Data Technologies (EN1)
- Energy Production and Power Generation (EN2)
- Energy Storage (EN3)
- Petrochemicals, Oil and Gas (EN4)
- Other Energy Technologies (EN5)
Environmental Technologies (ET)
- Computational Sustainability (ET1)
- Emission/Waste Reduction and the Circular Economy (ET2)
- Food, Agriculture, and Energy (ET3)
- Habitat Conservation, Adaptation and Restoration (ET4)
- Sustainable Community Systems (ET5)
- Water Treatment, Resilience, and Sanitation (ET6)
- Other Environmental Technologies (ET7)
Information Technologies (IT)
- KANDRA LABS INC
- DeepScale, Inc
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- InsightFinder Inc.
- Intentionet, Inc.
- Stateless, Inc
- Big Data and Advanced Analytics (IT1)
- Cloud Computing and High-Performance Computing (IT2)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT3)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT4)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT5)
- Education Technologies (IT6)
- Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT7)
- Image and Video (IT8)
- Mobile Computing, Internet of Things, Cyber-Physical Systems (IT9)
- Networking Technology (IT10)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT11)
- Software (IT12)
- Other Information Technologies (IT13)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (IH)
- nView medical Inc.
- Spheryx, Inc
- Chirp Microsystems
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (IH1)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection and Characterization (IH2)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Imaging (IH3)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems Technologies (IH4)
Internet of Things (I)
Medical Devices (MD)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT)
- Artificial Intelligence for Drug Development (PT1)
- Cell and Biologics Manufacturing (PT2)
- Drug Delivery Methods (PT3)
- Drug Discovery Platforms (PT4)
- Pharmaceutical Bioinformatics (PT5)
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (PT6)
- Therapeutic Molecules (PT7)
- Other Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT8)
- Advanced Metrology and Sensors (PH1)
- Advanced Optical Components and Systems (PH2)
- Communications, Information, and Data Storage (PH3)
- Lighting and Displays (PH4)
- Photon-based Energy Conversion (PH5)
- Other Photonics Technologies (PH6)
Power Management (PM)
- Energy Harvesting Devices and Systems (PM1)
- Materials and Devices for Power Electronics (PM2)
- Materials and Devices for Thermal Management (PM3)
- Novel Power and Thermal Management Sensors (PM4)
- Power Management Infrastructure and Smart Grid Systems (PM5)
- Systems for Thermal Management (PM6)
- Other Power Management Technologies (PM7)
Quantum Information Technologies (QT)
- Human Assistive Technologies and Bio-related Robotics (R1)
- Human-Machine Interfaces and Control/Architecture (R2)
- Robotic Applications (R3)
- Robotics in Agile Manufacturing, and Co-Robots (R4)
- Robotics in Education (R5)
- Other Robotics Technologies (R6)
- Electronic Devices (S1)
- Electronic Materials (S2)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S3)
- Microelectronics Packaging and Systems Integration (S4)
- Novel Semiconductor-based Sensors (S5)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S6)
- Other Semiconductor Technologies (S7)
- Extra-terrestrial Resource Extraction (SP1)
- Geological and Geoclimatic Science Data Technologies (SP2)
- Ground Launch Sites and Satellite Operations Technologies (SP3)
- In-space Manufacturing Technologies (SP4)
- Navigation and Positioning Technologies (SP5)
- On-Orbit Technologies (SP6)
- Remote Sensing Technologies (SP7)
- Space Transportation and Access (SP8)
- Spacecraft Development and Manufacturing (SP9)
- Telecommunications Technologies (SP10)
- Other Space-related Technologies (SP11)
Wireless Technologies (W)