Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 2,500 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2010, our awardees have had 62 exits and have received $3.2 billion in private investment. We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Advanced Manufacturing and Nanotechnology (MN)
- TAG Optics, Inc.
- Clear Motion (formerly Levant Power Corporation)
- Lite Enterprises Inc
- ZoomEssence, Inc.
- Keystone Tower Systems
- ThermoAura Inc.
- NuMat Technologies, Inc.
- Branch Technology LLC
- Personalized Manufacturing (M1)
- Maker Manufacturing (M2)
- Maker-to-Manufacturer (M3)
- Additive Manufacturing (M4)
- Modeling and Simulation (M5)
- Machines and Equipment (M6)
- Transportation Technologies (M7)
- Rare Earths and Critical Materials Processing Technology (M8)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M9)
- Bio-inspired Manufacturing (M10)
- People-Centered Industrial Technologies (M11)
- Manufacturing for Emerging Markets (M12)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology (M13)
- Nanomaterials (N1)
- Nanomanufacturing (N2)
- Nanotechnology-Based Solutions to Grand Challenges (N3)
Advanced Materials and Instrumentation (MI)
- Neuvokas Corporation
- Spheryx, Inc
- bioMASON Inc.
- Chirp Microsystems
- Mallinda, LLC
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- DropWise Technologies Corp.
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Altaeros Energies, Inc.
- Metals and Ceramics (MI1)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (MI2)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (MI3)
- Multiferroics and Specialized Functional Materials (MI4)
- Materials for Sustainability (MI5)
- Other Materials (MI6)
- Instrumentation for Characterization and Imaging (MI7)
- Instrumentation for Detection, Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (MI8)
- Other Instrumentation (MI9)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- Glauconix Inc.
- Triton Animal Products
- Miromatrix Medical Inc.
- Knudra Diagnostics
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Ocular Dynamics
- Data2Discovery Inc
- SQZ Biotechnologies Company
- Agricultural and Food Safety Biotechnology (BT1)
- Biosensors (BT2)
- Life Sciences Research Tools (BT3)
- Bioinstrumentation (BT4)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT5)
- Fermentation and Cell Culture Technologies (BT6)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT7)
- Advanced Biomanufacturing (BT8)
- Advanced Technologies for Functional Genomics in Organismal Systems (BT9)
- Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (BT10; formerly BM3)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- Rochal Industries LLP
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- Elidah, Inc.
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- CytoVale, Inc
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, LLC
- Camras Vision, Inc.
- OneBreath, Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (BM1)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BM2)
- Biomedical Engineering (BM3)
- Noninvasive Imaging of Brain Function (BM4)
- Medical Imaging Technologies (BM5)
- Diagnostic Assays and Platforms (BM6)
- Drug Delivery (BM7)
Chemical and Environmental Technologies (CT)
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Ubiquitous Energy, Inc
- Precision Polyolefins, LLC
- Vaporsens Inc.
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- Flodesign Sonics Inc.
- Biobased Chemicals and Biochemical Processes (CT1)
- Chemicals, Polymers, Plastics, and Derivatives (CT2)
- Novel Catalysts and Processes (CT3)
- Chemicals from Carbon Dioxide and Methane (CT4)
- Food Technology (CT5)
- Energy Efficiency, Capture, Storage, and Use (CT6)
- Energy Generation, Bioenergy, and Renewable Fuel Technology (CT7)
- Separation Technology (CT8)
- Resource and Water Conservation, Treatment and Reuse, Waste Minimization, and Environmental Sustainability (CT9)
- Environmental Sensing, Environmental Pollution Control, and Mitigation (CT10)
- Plant-based Products and Sustainable Agricultural Innovations (CT11)
- Chemical Production Efficiency and Productivity (CT12)
- Sustainable Chemistry and Green Engineering Technology (CT13)
- Emerging Technologies and Applications (CT14)
Educational Technologies and Applications (EA)
- Zyante Inc
- Triad Interactive Media
- Mgenuity Corporation
- Killer Snails, LLC
- starMobile, Inc.
- Second Avenue Software, Inc.
- Teachley, LLC.
- Modular Robotics Incorporated
- LaunchPad Central Inc.
- Pre K-12 Education (EA1)
- Global, Distance, and Higher Education (EA2)
- Simulations and Gaming Technologies (EA3)
- Entrepreneurial, Informal, and Maker Education (EA4)
- Information, Computer Science, and Engineering (EA5)
Electronic Hardware, Robotics and Wireless Technologies (EW)
- GridBridge, Inc
- nView medical Inc.
- Blue River Technology Inc
- Imprint Energy, Inc.
- RightHand Robotics, LLC
- Artaic LLC
- Leonardo Innovations Inc.
- Wireless Technologies (WT)
- Systems and Devices (WT1)
- Wireless Devices and Components (WT2)
- Energy and Power Management (EP)
- Electronic Devices, Boards and Interfaces (EP1)
- Device and System Level (EP2)
- Smart Grids and Infrastructure (EP3)
- Power Management (EP4)
- Robotics and Human Assistive Technologies (RH)
- Learning, Intelligence, and Motion (RH1)
- Robotic Applications (RH2)
- Robotics in Agile Manufacturing (RH3)
- Co-robots (RH4)
- Human-machine Interfaces and Control/Architecture (RH5)
- Human Assistive Technologies and Bio-related Robotics (RH6)
- Micro-electronics Packaging, Thermal Management, and Systems Integration (MT)
Information Technologies (IT)
- InsightFinder Inc.
- Geospatial Data Analysis Corporation
- NGD Systems, Inc.
- AppScale Systems, Inc.
- Bay Labs, Inc.
- Waltz Networks, Inc.
- VOCALID INC
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing (IT1)
- Image and Video (IT2)
- Quantum Information Technologies (IT3)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT4)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT5)
- Networking Technology (IT6)
- Mobile Computing and Internet of Things (IT7)
- Cloud Computing and High-performance Computing (IT8)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT9)
- Big Data and Advanced Data Analytics (IT10)
- Human-computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT11)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT12)
- Software (IT13)
- Other (IT14)
Internet of Things (I)
- IoT Sensors and Actuators (IoT1)
- IoT Energy and Power Systems (IoT2)
- IoT Communications (IoT3)
- IoT Integrated Systems (IoT4)
- IoT IT, Cloud, Big Data, and Security and Privacy (also see IT portfolio topics)
Semiconductors (S) and Photonic Devices and Materials (PH)
- Uniqarta, Inc.
- Multicore Photonics, Inc.
- Endectra, LLC
- TexasLDPC Inc. (dba Symbyon Systems)
- NGCodec Inc.
- Semiconductors (S) / Photonic Devices and Materials (PH)
- Photonics (PH)
- Lighting and Displays (PH1)
- Communications, Information, and Data Storage (PH2)
- Energy (PH3)
- Advanced Metrology and Sensors (PH4)
- Advanced Optical Components and Systems (PH5)
- Semiconductors (S)
- Electronic Materials (S1)
- Electronic Devices (S2)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S3)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S4)
Smart Health (SH)
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- Aperiomics, Inc.
- Neural Analytics
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- ConsortiEX, Inc
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- Care Progress, LLC
- Business Models for User-centered Healthcare (SH1)
- Digital Health Information Infrastructure (SH2)
- From Data to Decisions (SH3)
- Interoperability of Health Record Systems, Medical Sensors, Devices, and Robotics (SH4)
- Empowering Individuals and Communities (SH5)
Other Topics (OT)
- The Other Topics category is intended to be a home for any proposed project that doesn't seem to fit into one of the other Technology Topic Areas, but still seems to meet our goals of supporting research and development of innovative, risky, unproven technology with commercial viability and possible social benefit.