Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made more than 2,500 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2014, our awardees have had 70 exits and have received $3.5 billion in private investment. We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Ekso Bionics, Inc.
- Persimmon Technologies Corporation
- Bolt Threads (formerly Refactored Materials, Inc.)
- Pin Drop Security (formerly Telineage, Inc.)
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
Advanced Manufacturing (MN)
- Big Blue Technologies LLC
- Sinter Print Inc
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- 3DEO, Inc.
- XPEED Turbine Technology LLC
- Branch Technology LLC
- Manufacturing Technologies (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M3)
- Modeling & Simulation (M4)
- Cybermanufacturing (M5)
- Personalized Manufacturing / Maker Manufacturing / Maker to Manufacturer (M6)
- Transportation Technologies (M7)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M8)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology (M9)
Advanced Materials (MI)
- Metals and Ceramics (MI1)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (MI2)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (MI3)
- Multiferroics and Specialized Functional Materials (MI4)
- Materials for Sustainability (MI5)
- Other Materials (MI6)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Antheia, Inc.
- Enable Biosciences Inc
- Lygos Inc.
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- Navan Technologies Inc.
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- Plant Biotechnology (BT1)
- Biosensors (BT2)
- Life Sciences Research Tools (BT3)
- Bioinstrumentats (BT4)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT5)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT6)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT7)
- Cell and Biologics Manufacturing (BT8)
- Drug Discovery Platforms (BT9)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT10)
- Animal Biotechnology (BT11)
- Food and Food Safety Biotechnology (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- CytoVale, Inc
- Elidah, Inc.
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- Rochal Industries LLP
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- OneBreath, Inc.
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- BriteSeed, LLC
- Camras Vision, Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (BM1)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BM2)
- Noninvasive Imaging of Brain Function (BM3)
- Medical Imaging Technologies (BM4)
- Diagnostic Assays and Platforms (BM5)
- Drug Delivery (BM6)
Chemical and Advanced Energy Technologies (CT)
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Saratoga Energy Research Partners LLC
- Advanced Chemical Processes and Products (CT1)
- Catalytic Products and Processes (CT2)
- Power Generation and Advanced Infrastructure (CT3)
- Advanced Hydrocarbons, Petrochemicals and Natural Resources(CT4)
- Advanced Energy Technologies (CT5)
- Data Technologies, Sensing and Analytics for Chemicals, and/or Energy (CT6)
Digital Health (DH)
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- Care Progress, LLC
- Business Models for User-Centered Healthcare (DH1)
- Digital Health Information Infrastructure (DH2)
- From Data to Decisions (DH3)
- Interoperability of Health Record Systems, Medical Sensors, Devices and Robotics (DH4)
- Empowering Individuals and Communities (DH5)
Distributed Ledger (OT)
- Advanced Protocols- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next Gen Protocols (DL1)
- Cryptography and Security, Identity and Anonymity Solutions, Trusted Devices (DL2)
- Smart Contracts, Next-Generation Financial Technologies (DL3)
- Scalability Solutions, Enhanced Consensus Methods, Organizational Structures (DL4)
- Human to Technology Interface Innovations, Disruptive Business Model Innovations for Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL5)
- Distributed Ledger Convergence with Sensing, Big Data, AI, and IoT(DL6)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies (DL7)
- Other Technologies and Approaches Potentially Relevant to Distributed Ledge (DL8)
Educational Technologies and Applications (EA)
- Workplace Technologies Research Inc.
- Zyante Inc
- Simbulus Inc
- Edify Technologies, Inc.
- Modular Robotics Incorporated
- Killer Snails, LLC
- starMobile, Inc.
- Teachley, LLC.
- Triad Interactive Media
- Pre-K and Primary Education (EA1)
- Middle School and High School Education (EA2)
- Global, Distance, and Higher Educations (EA3)
- Collaborative and Game-Based Education (EA4)
- Social and Behavioral Education (EA5)
- Entrepreneurial, Informal and Maker Education (EA6)
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Information Technology Education (EA7)
- Learning Assessments (EA8)
- Language Applications (EA9)
- Capacity Building, Education, and Training for the Emerging Fourth Sector Eco-system (EA10)
- Other Education-Related Topics (EA11)
Energy and Power Systems (EW)
Environmental Technologies (CT)
- Water Treatment (CT7)
- Agricultural and Food Technologies (CT8)
- Environmental Health, Green Chemistry (C9)
- Resource Efficiency, Renewable Resources (CT10)
- Technologies for Extreme Environments (CT11)
- Environmental Security and Defense (CT12)
- Data Technologies, Sensing and Analytics for the Environment (CT13)
Information Technologies (IT)
- Intentionet, Inc.
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- Stateless, Inc
- KANDRA LABS INC
- GrokStyle Inc.
- QC Ware Corp.
- DeepScale, Inc
- Bay Labs, Inc.
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing (IT1)
- Image and Video (IT2)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT3)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT4)
- Networking Technology (IT5)
- Mobile Computing and Internet of Things (IT6)
- Cloud Computing and High-performance Computing (IT7)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT8)
- Big Data and Advanced Analytics (IT9)
- Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT10)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT11)
- Software (IT12)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (MI)
- nView medical Inc.
- Spheryx, Inc
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Chirp Microsystems
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Characterization and Imaging (MI7)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection, Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (MI8)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems (MI9)
Internet of Things (IoT)
Medical Devices (MD)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Quantum Information Technologies (IT)
- Quantum Information Technologies (IT3)
- Electronic Materials (S1)
- Electronic Devices (S2)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S3)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S4)
- Micro-electronics Packaging, Thermal Management, and Systems Integration (S5)