Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 3,400 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2015, NSF-funded small businesses have had 153 exits and have received $9.1 billion in private investment.* We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
*Data from CB Insights.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Bolt Threads (formerly Refactored Materials, Inc.)
- Ekso Bionics, Inc.
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
- Pin Drop Security (formerly Telineage, Inc.)
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- The Echo Nest Corporation
- Blue River Technology Inc
- Ginkgo BioWorks
Advanced Analytics (AA)
- Data Collection, Cleaning, Integration and Processing (AA1)
- Data Mining (AA2)
- Decision Modelling (AA3)
- Descriptive and Predictive Analytics (AA4)
- Deterministic Modelling (AA5)
- Optimization (AA6)
- Simulation (AA7)
- Statistical Modelling (AA8)
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting (AA9)
- Visualization (AA10)
- Other Advanced Analytics Technologies (AA11)
Advanced Manufacturing (M)
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Cybermanufacturing (M3)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M4)
- Infrastructure (M5)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M6)
- Modeling and Simulation (M7)
- Personalized Manufacturing, Maker Manufacturing, and Maker to Manufacturer (M8)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology and Circular Economy Technologies (M9)
- Other Manufacturing Technologies (M10)
Advanced Materials (AM)
- Via Separations, LLC
- bioMASON Inc.
- CYPRIS MATERIALS, INC.
- spotLESS Materials Inc.
- Boston Materials, Inc.
- CARBICE CORPORATION
- Mallinda, LLC
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (AM1)
- Materials for Sustainability (AM2)
- Metals and Ceramics (AM3)
- Novel Advanced Materials-based Sensors (AM4)
- Specialized Functional Materials (AM5)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (AM6)
- Other Advanced Materials Technologies (AM7)
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- DeepScale, Inc
- GrokStyle Inc.
- TRASH INC.
- Kintsugi Mindful Wellness, Inc.
- RECONSTRUCT INC
- Bay Labs, Inc.
- kelaHealth Inc
- TERRAFUSE, INC.
- AI-Optimized Hardware (AI1)
- Computer Vision (AI2)
- Language-Based AI (AI3)
- Machine Learning (AI4)
- Other Artificial Intelligence Technologies (AI5)
Augmented and Virtual Reality (AV)
- Audio Augmentation and Interfaces (AV1)
- Computation and Data integration (AV2)
- Projection and Display Media (AV3)
- Tracking, Alignment, and Stabilization Technologies (AV4)
- Wearable Technologies (AV5)
- Other Augmented and Virtual Reality Technologies (AV6)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- Ras Labs, Inc.
- GRO BIOSCIENCES INC
- Yesse Technologies, Inc.
- Antheia, Inc.
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- Lygos Inc.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Animal Biotechnology (BT1)
- Bio-Inspired Technologies (BT2)
- Bioinstruments (BT3)
- Biosensors (BT4)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT5)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT6)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT7)
- Life Science Research Tools (BT8)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BT9)
- Plant Biotechnology (BT10)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT11)
- Other Biological Technologies (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
Chemical Technologies (CT)
- Provivi Inc.
- Grow Plastics LLC
- Loci Controls, Inc
- Emergy LLC
- Nanofiber Solutions
- Omnivis LLC
- BioHybrid Solutions LLC
- 2B Technologies, Inc
- Aerosol Devices Inc.
- Biochemicals (CT1)
- Catalysts, Advanced Chemicals and Materials (CT2)
- Chemical and Environmental Sensing and Data (CT3)
- Food Processing, Chemicals and Agriculture (CT4)
- Green Chemicals and Chemical Alternatives (CT5)
- Separations and Water Treatment (CT6)
- Other Chemical Technologies (CT7)
Cloud and High-Performance Computing (CH)
- Algorithms and Applications (CH1)
- Computational Architecture (CH2)
- Convergence of AI and Cloud/HPC (CH3)
- Edge Computing (CH4)
- Energy Efficiency and Sustainability (CH5)
- In-memory Processing (CH6)
- Interconnects (CH7)
- Middleware (CH8)
- Performance Monitoring (CH9)
- Processing on Encrypted Data (CH10)
- Processor Architecture and Design (CH11)
- Resilience and Resource Management (CH12)
- Other Cloud and High-Performance Computing Technologies (CH13)
Cybersecurity and Authentication (CA)
- Computation on Encrypted Data (CA1)
- Cryptography, including Post-quantum Cryptography (CA2)
- Data Privacy and Integrity (CA3)
- Device Authentication (CA4)
- Encryption, including Homomorphic Encryption (CA5)
- Network and Device Security (CA6)
- Personal Authentication (CA7)
- Secure and Trusted Computing (CA8)
- Secure Machine-to-Machine Communication (CA9)
- Security of Cloud and HPC Platforms (CA10)
- Other Cybersecurity and Authentication Technologies (CA11)
Digital Health (DH)
- HABITAWARE, INC.
- VERANTOS, INC.
- Bioinfoexperts, LLC
- Diligent Droids, LLC
- PATH EX
- Liberate Medical LLC
- Clinical Decision Support (DH1)
- Healthcare System Workflow (DH2)
- Medical Diagnostics (DH3)
- Personalized Software Systems (DH4)
- Other Digital Health Technologies (DH5)
Distributed Ledger (DL)
- Runtime Verification, Inc.
- ENERGYXCHAIN, LLC
- Onu Technology, Inc.
- Simplyvital Health, Inc.
- GRID7 LLC
- Autonomous Systems and Economies, and Smart Contracts (DL1)
- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next-Gen Protocols (DL2)
- Convergence with Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence (DL3)
- Convergence with Internet of Things, Crowdsourcing and Crowdsensing (DL4)
- Cryptography, Security, and Cybersecurity (DL5)
- Distributed Consensus and Fault Tolerance Mechanisms (DL6)
- Distributed Ledger in Edge and Cloud Computing (DL7)
- Distributed Ledger Interoperability (DL8)
- Distributed Ledger in Network Architecture and Management (DL9)
- Financial Technologies (DL10)
- Human-to-Technology Interface; Decentralized Applications (dApps) (DL11)
- Scalability Solutions and Accumulators (DL12)
- Trusted Identity and Identity Management (DL13)
- Other Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL14)
Energy Technologies (EN)
- FAS HOLDINGS GROUP
- Dimensional Energy Inc.
- Leading Edge Crystal Technologies, Inc.
- Alligant Scientific, LLC
- Syzygy Plasmonics Inc
- SURGEPOWER MATERIALS, INC.
- Proton Energy Systems, Inc.
- CORESHELL TECHNOLOGIES INC
- Sylvatex Inc.
- Energy Efficiencies and Data Technologies (EN1)
- Energy Production and Power Generation (EN2)
- Energy Storage (EN3)
- Petrochemicals, Oil and Gas (EN4)
- Other Energy Technologies (EN5)
Environmental Technologies (ET)
- Litterati, LLC
- FOLIA WATER, INC.
- Azimuth1, LLC
- GREENSIGHT AGRONOMICS, INC.
- Pekosoft LLC
- Precision Polyolefins, LLC
- CycloPure, Inc.
- REEFGEN INC.
- ClearFlame Engines, Inc.
- Computational Sustainability (ET1)
- Digital Ecosystem for the Environment (ET2)
- Emission/Waste Reduction and the Circular Economy (ET3)
- Environmental Health (ET4)
- Environmental and Societal Impact Measurement (ET5)
- Food, Regenerative Agriculture, and Energy (ET6)
- Habitat Conservation, Adaptation and Restoration (ET7)
- Sustainable Community Systems (ET8)
- Water Treatment, Resilience, and Sanitation (ET9)
- Other Environmental Technologies (ET10)
Human-Computer Interaction (HC)
- Analytics (HC1)
- Conversational Interfaces (HC2)
- Dynamic and Smart Spaces (HC3)
- Embodied and Wearable Computing (HC4)
- Optometry and Human Vision (HC5)
- Tactile Technologies (HC6)
- Technology Aids for Disabilities (HC7)
- Other Human-Computer Interaction Technologies (HC8)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (IH)
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Spheryx, Inc
- Chirp Microsystems
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- nView medical Inc.
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (IH1)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection and Characterization (IH2)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Imaging (IH3)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems Technologies (IH4)
Internet of Things (I)
Learning and Cognition Technologies (LC)
- Asynchronous and Remote Learning (LC1)
- Collaborative Networking (LC2)
- Digital Learning (LC3)
- Learning Disabilities and Difficulties (LC4)
- Learning and Workforce Development (LC5)
- Learning Modalities (LC6)
- Mental Health Assessment and Support (LC7)
- Neuroscience-based Technologies (LC8)
- Scalable Educational Enterprise Systems (LC9)
- Statistical and Heuristic Analysis (LC10)
- Other Learning and Cognition Technologies (LC11)
Medical Devices (MD)
- Nanomanufacturing (N1)
- Nanomaterials (N2)
- Nanotechnology Solutions to Global Grand Challenges (N3)
- Other Nanotechnologies (N4)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT)
- ConsortiEX, Inc
- SQZ Biotechnologies Company
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, Inc.
- Glauconix Inc.
- nanoView Diagnostics Inc.
- Visikol, Inc.
- Kytopen Corp
- Novome Biotechnologies, Inc.
- Drug Delivery Methods (PT1)
- Drug Discovery (PT2)
- Pharmaceutical and Biologic Manufacturing (PT3)
- Therapeutic Molecules (PT4)
- Other Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT5)
- Advanced Metrology and Sensors (PH1)
- Advanced Optical Components and Systems (PH2)
- Communications, Information, and Data Storage (PH3)
- Lighting and Displays (PH4)
- Photon-based Energy Conversion (PH5)
- Photonic Materials (PH6)
- Other Photonics Technologies (PH7)
Power Management (PM)
- Feasible, Inc.
- Antora Energy, Inc.
- Imagen Energy, LLC
- Microgrid Labs Inc.
- Rejoule Incorporated
- Heila Technologies Inc.
- Energy Harvesting Devices and Systems (PM1)
- Materials and Devices for Power Electronics (PM2)
- Materials and Devices for Thermal Management (PM3)
- Novel Power and Thermal Management Sensors (PM4)
- Power Management Infrastructure and Smart Grid Systems (PM5)
- Systems for Thermal Management (PM6)
- Other Power Management Technologies (PM7) <