Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 3,400 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2015, NSF-funded small businesses have had 153 exits and have received $9.1 billion in private investment.* We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
*Data from CB Insights.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Blue River Technology Inc
- Persimmon Technologies Corporation
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Novan, Inc.
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Pin Drop Security (formerly Telineage, Inc.)
Advanced Analytics (AA)
- Data Collection, Cleaning, Integration and Processing (AA1)
- Data Mining (AA2)
- Decision Modelling (AA3)
- Descriptive and Predictive Analytics (AA4)
- Deterministic Modelling (AA5)
- Optimization (AA6)
- Simulation (AA7)
- Statistical Modelling (AA8)
- Time Series Analysis and Forecasting (AA9)
- Visualization (AA10)
- Other Advanced Analytics Technologies (AA11)
Advanced Manufacturing (M)
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Cybermanufacturing (M3)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M4)
- Infrastructure (M5)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M6)
- Modeling and Simulation (M7)
- Personalized Manufacturing, Maker Manufacturing, and Maker to Manufacturer (M8)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology and Circular Economy Technologies (M9)
- Other Manufacturing Technologies (M10)
Advanced Materials (AM)
- bioMASON Inc.
- Mallinda, LLC
- CYPRIS MATERIALS, INC.
- Boston Materials, Inc.
- spotLESS Materials Inc.
- Via Separations, LLC
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (AM1)
- Materials for Sustainability (AM2)
- Metals and Ceramics (AM3)
- Novel Advanced Materials-based Sensors (AM4)
- Specialized Functional Materials (AM5)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (AM6)
- Other Advanced Materials Technologies (AM7)
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
Augmented and Virtual Reality (AV)
- Audio Augmentation and Interfaces (AV1)
- Computation and Data integration (AV2)
- Projection and Display Media (AV3)
- Tracking, Alignment, and Stabilization Technologies (AV4)
- Wearable Technologies (AV5)
- Other Augmented and Virtual Reality Technologies (AV6)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- GRO BIOSCIENCES INC
- Yesse Technologies, Inc.
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- Lygos Inc.
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- Ras Labs, Inc.
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Animal Biotechnology (BT1)
- Bio-Inspired Technologies (BT2)
- Bioinstruments (BT3)
- Biosensors (BT4)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT5)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT6)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT7)
- Life Science Research Tools (BT8)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BT9)
- Plant Biotechnology (BT10)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT11)
- Other Biological Technologies (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
Chemical Technologies (CT)
- Biochemicals (CT1)
- Catalysts, Advanced Chemicals and Materials (CT2)
- Chemical and Environmental Sensing and Data (CT3)
- Food Processing, Chemicals and Agriculture (CT4)
- Green Chemicals and Chemical Alternatives (CT5)
- Separations and Water Treatment (CT6)
- Other Chemical Technologies (CT7)
Cloud and High-Performance Computing (CH)
- Algorithms and Applications (CH1)
- Computational Architecture (CH2)
- Convergence of AI and Cloud/HPC (CH3)
- Edge Computing (CH4)
- Energy Efficiency and Sustainability (CH5)
- In-memory Processing (CH6)
- Interconnects (CH7)
- Middleware (CH8)
- Performance Monitoring (CH9)
- Processing on Encrypted Data (CH10)
- Processor Architecture and Design (CH11)
- Resilience and Resource Management (CH12)
- Other Cloud and High-Performance Computing Technologies (CH13)
Cybersecurity and Authentication (CA)
- Computation on Encrypted Data (CA1)
- Cryptography, including Post-quantum Cryptography (CA2)
- Data Privacy and Integrity (CA3)
- Device Authentication (CA4)
- Encryption, including Homomorphic Encryption (CA5)
- Network and Device Security (CA6)
- Personal Authentication (CA7)
- Secure and Trusted Computing (CA8)
- Secure Machine-to-Machine Communication (CA9)
- Security of Cloud and HPC Platforms (CA10)
- Other Cybersecurity and Authentication Technologies (CA11)
Digital Health (DH)
Distributed Ledger (DL)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies, and Smart Contracts (DL1)
- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next-Gen Protocols (DL2)
- Convergence with Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence (DL3)
- Convergence with Internet of Things, Crowdsourcing and Crowdsensing (DL4)
- Cryptography, Security, and Cybersecurity (DL5)
- Distributed Consensus and Fault Tolerance Mechanisms (DL6)
- Distributed Ledger in Edge and Cloud Computing (DL7)
- Distributed Ledger Interoperability (DL8)
- Distributed Ledger in Network Architecture and Management (DL9)
- Financial Technologies (DL10)
- Human-to-Technology Interface; Decentralized Applications (dApps) (DL11)
- Scalability Solutions and Accumulators (DL12)
- Trusted Identity and Identity Management (DL13)
- Other Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL14)
Energy Technologies (EN)
- Alligant Scientific, LLC
- Leading Edge Crystal Technologies, Inc.
- SURGEPOWER MATERIALS, INC.
- Dimensional Energy Inc.
- FAS HOLDINGS GROUP
- Sylvatex Inc.
- Energy Efficiencies and Data Technologies (EN1)
- Energy Production and Power Generation (EN2)
- Energy Storage (EN3)
- Petrochemicals, Oil and Gas (EN4)
- Other Energy Technologies (EN5)