Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 3,000 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2014, NSF-funded small businesses have had 107 exits and have received nearly $9 billion in private investment.* We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
*Data from CB Insights.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Blue River Technology Inc
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Persimmon Technologies Corporation
- The Echo Nest Corporation
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Novan, Inc.
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
Advanced Manufacturing (M)
- unspun, Inc.
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- Branch Technology LLC
- XPEED Turbine Technology LLC
- Elementum 3D
- Big Blue Technologies LLC
- 3DEO, Inc.
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Cybermanufacturing (M3)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M4)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M5)
- Modeling and Simulation (M6)
- Personalized Manufacturing / Maker Manufacturing / Maker to Manufacturer (M7)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology / Circular Economy Technologies (M8)
- Transportation Technologies (M9)
- Other Manufacturing Technologies (M10)
Advanced Materials (AM)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (AM1)
- Materials for Sustainability (AM2)
- Metals and Ceramics (AM3)
- Novel Advanced Materials-based Sensors (AM4)
- Specialized Functional Materials (AM5)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (AM6)
- Other Advanced Materials Technologies (AM7)
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- AI-Optimized Hardware (AI1)
- Business Intelligence (AI2)
- Computer Vision, Image and Video Processing (AI3)
- Decision Management and Optimization (AI4)
- eCommerce (AI5)
- Education Technologies (AI6)
- Human-Computer Interaction (AI7)
- Industrial Systems, including Robotics (A18)
- Language-Based Technologies (AI9)
- Machine Learning Algorithms and Platforms (A10)
- Medical Diagnostics (AI11)
- Sales, Advertising, and Marketing (AI12)
- Security, Cybersecurity, and Authentication (AI13)
- Smart Agriculture (AI14)
- Vehicle-Based Systems (AI15)
- Virtual Agents and Assistants (AI16)
- Other AI Technologies (AI17)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- Lygos Inc.
- Enable Biosciences Inc
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- Navan Technologies Inc.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Antheia, Inc.
- Animal Biotechnology (BT1)
- Bioinstruments (BT2)
- Biosensors (BT3)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT4)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT5)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT6)
- Food Processing and Safety Technology (BT7)
- Life Science Research Tools (BT8)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BT9)
- Plant Biotechnology (BT10)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT11)
- Other Biological Technologies (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- CytoVale, Inc
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- Camras Vision, Inc.
- BriteSeed, LLC
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- Rochal Industries LLP
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- OneBreath, Inc.
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, LLC
- Diagnostic Assays (BM1)
- Medical Imaging (BM2)
- Monitoring Devices (BM3)
- Other Biomedical Technologies (BM4)
Chemical Technologies (CT)
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- Saratoga Energy Research Partners LLC
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Dimensional Energy Inc.
- Biochemicals (CT1)
- Catalysts, Advanced Chemicals and Materials (CT2)
- Chemical and Environmental Sensing and Data (CT3)
- Food Processing, Chemicals and Agriculture (CT4)
- Green Chemicals and Chemical Alternatives (CT5)
- Separations and Water Treatment (CT6)
- Other Chemical Technologies (CT7)
Digital Health (DH)
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- Care Progress, LLC
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- Clinical Decision Support (DH1)
- Healthcare System Workflow (DH2)
- Medical Diagnostics (DH3)
- Personalized Software Systems (DH4)
- Other Digital Health (DH5)
Distributed Ledger (DL)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies; Smart Contracts (DL1)
- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next Gen Protocols (DL2)
- Convergence with Big Data, and Artificial Intelligence (DL3)
- Convergence with Internet of Things, Crowdsourcing and Crowdsensing (DL4)
- Cryptography; Security; Cybersecurity (DL5)
- Distributed Consensus; Fault Tolerance Mechanisms (DL6)
- Distributed Ledger in Edge and Cloud Computing (DL7)
- Distributed Ledger Interoperability (DL8)
- Distributed Ledger in Network Architecture and Management (DL9)
- Financial Technologies (DL10)
- Human-to-Technology Interface; Decentralized Applications (dApps) (DL11)
- Scalability Solutions; Accumulators (DL12)
- Trusted Identity; Identity Management (DL13)
- Other Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL14)
Energy Technologies (EN)
- Energy Efficiencies, and Data Technologies (EN1)
- Energy Production and Power Generation (EN2)
- Energy Storage (EN3)
- Petrochemicals, Oil and Gas (EN4)
- Other Energy Technologies (EN5)
Environmental Technologies (ET)
- Computational Sustainability (ET1)
- Emission/Waste Reduction and the Circular Economy (ET2)
- Food, Agriculture, and Energy (ET3)
- Habitat Conservation, Adaptation and Restoration (ET4)
- Sustainable Community Systems (ET5)
- Water Treatment, Resilience, and Sanitation (ET6)
- Other Environmental Technologies (ET7)
Information Technologies (IT)
- KANDRA LABS INC
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- Stateless, Inc
- Intentionet, Inc.
- DeepScale, Inc
- InsightFinder Inc.
- Big Data and Advanced Analytics (IT1)
- Cloud Computing and High-Performance Computing (IT2)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT3)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT4)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT5)
- Education Technologies (IT6)
- Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT7)
- Image and Video (IT8)
- Mobile Computing, Internet of Things, Cyber-Physical Systems (IT9)
- Networking Technology (IT10)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT11)
- Software (IT12)
- Other Information Technologies (IT13)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (IH)
- Spheryx, Inc
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- nView medical Inc.
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Chirp Microsystems
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (IH1)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection and Characterization (IH2)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Imaging (IH3)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems Technologies (IH4)
Internet of Things (I)
Medical Devices (MD)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT)
- Artificial Intelligence for Drug Development (PT1)
- Cell and Biologics Manufacturing (PT2)
- Drug Delivery Methods (PT3)
- Drug Discovery Platforms (PT4)
- Pharmaceutical Bioinformatics (PT5)
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (PT6)
- Therapeutic Molecules (PT7)
- Other Pharmaceutical Technologies (PT8)
- Advanced Metrology and Sensors (PH1)
- Advanced Optical Components and Systems (PH2)
- Communications, Information, and Data Storage (PH3)
- Lighting and Displays (PH4)
- Photon-based Energy Conversion (PH5)
- Other Photonics Technologies (PH6)
Power Management (PM)
- Energy Harvesting Devices and Systems (PM1)
- Materials and Devices for Power Electronics (PM2)
- Materials and Devices for Thermal Management (PM3)
- Novel Power and Thermal Management Sensors (PM4)
- Power Management Infrastructure and Smart Grid Systems (PM5)
- Systems for Thermal Management (PM6)
- Other Power Management Technologies (PM7)
Quantum Information Technologies (QT)
- Human Assistive Technologies and Bio-related Robotics (R1)
- Human-Machine Interfaces and Control/Architecture (R2)
- Robotic Applications (R3)
- Robotics in Agile Manufacturing, and Co-Robots (R4)
- Robotics in Education (R5)
- Other Robotics Technologies (R6)
- Electronic Devices (S1)
- Electronic Materials (S2)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S3)
- Microelectronics Packaging and Systems Integration (S4)
- Novel Semiconductor-based Sensors (S5)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S6)
- Other Semiconductor Technologies (S7)
- Extra-terrestrial Resource Extraction (SP1)
- Geological and Geoclimatic Science Data Technologies (SP2)
- Ground Launch Sites and Satellite Operations Technologies (SP3)
- In-space Manufacturing Technologies (SP4)
- Navigation and Positioning Technologies (SP5)
- On-Orbit Technologies (SP6)
- Remote Sensing Technologies (SP7)
- Space Transportation and Access (SP8)
- Spacecraft Development and Manufacturing (SP9)
- Telecommunications Technologies (SP10)
- Other Space-related Technologies (SP11)
Wireless Technologies (W)