Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made more than 2,500 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2014, our awardees have had 70 exits and have received $3.5 billion in private investment. We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Ecovative Design LLC
- Ekso Bionics, Inc.
- Blue River Technology Inc
- The Echo Nest Corporation
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Jana (formerly Txteagle, Inc.)
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Pin Drop Security (formerly Telineage, Inc.)
- Novan, Inc.
Advanced Manufacturing (MN)
- 3DEO, Inc.
- Elementum 3D
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- unspun, Inc.
- Big Blue Technologies LLC
- XPEED Turbine Technology LLC
- Branch Technology LLC
- Manufacturing Technologies (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M3)
- Modeling & Simulation (M4)
- Cybermanufacturing (M5)
- Personalized Manufacturing / Maker Manufacturing / Maker to Manufacturer (M6)
- Transportation Technologies (M7)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M8)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology (M9)
Advanced Materials (MI)
- Metals and Ceramics (MI1)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (MI2)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (MI3)
- Multiferroics and Specialized Functional Materials (MI4)
- Materials for Sustainability (MI5)
- Other Materials (MI6)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Enable Biosciences Inc
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Navan Technologies Inc.
- Antheia, Inc.
- Lygos Inc.
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- Plant Biotechnology (BT1)
- Biosensors (BT2)
- Life Sciences Research Tools (BT3)
- Bioinstrumentats (BT4)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT5)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT6)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT7)
- Cell and Biologics Manufacturing (BT8)
- Drug Discovery Platforms (BT9)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT10)
- Animal Biotechnology (BT11)
- Food and Food Safety Biotechnology (BT12)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- Camras Vision, Inc.
- Elidah, Inc.
- BriteSeed, LLC
- OneBreath, Inc.
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- Rochal Industries LLP
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, LLC
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (BM1)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BM2)
- Noninvasive Imaging of Brain Function (BM3)
- Medical Imaging Technologies (BM4)
- Diagnostic Assays and Platforms (BM5)
- Drug Delivery (BM6)
Chemical and Advanced Energy Technologies (CT)
- Saratoga Energy Research Partners LLC
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Advanced Chemical Processes and Products (CT1)
- Catalytic Products and Processes (CT2)
- Power Generation and Advanced Infrastructure (CT3)
- Advanced Hydrocarbons, Petrochemicals and Natural Resources(CT4)
- Advanced Energy Technologies (CT5)
- Data Technologies, Sensing and Analytics for Chemicals, and/or Energy (CT6)
Digital Health (DH)
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- Care Progress, LLC
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- Business Models for User-Centered Healthcare (DH1)
- Digital Health Information Infrastructure (DH2)
- From Data to Decisions (DH3)
- Interoperability of Health Record Systems, Medical Sensors, Devices and Robotics (DH4)
- Empowering Individuals and Communities (DH5)
Distributed Ledger (OT)
- Advanced Protocols- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next Gen Protocols (DL1)
- Cryptography and Security, Identity and Anonymity Solutions, Trusted Devices (DL2)
- Smart Contracts, Next-Generation Financial Technologies (DL3)
- Scalability Solutions, Enhanced Consensus Methods, Organizational Structures (DL4)
- Human to Technology Interface Innovations, Disruptive Business Model Innovations for Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL5)
- Distributed Ledger Convergence with Sensing, Big Data, AI, and IoT(DL6)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies (DL7)
- Other Technologies and Approaches Potentially Relevant to Distributed Ledge (DL8)
Educational Technologies and Applications (EA)
- Alchemie Solutions, Inc.
- ThoughtSTEM, LLC
- Killer Snails, LLC
- Zyrobotics LLC
- Edify Technologies, Inc.
- Looking Glass Ventures, LLC
- Speak Agent, Inc.
- Couragion Corporation
- Pre-K and Primary Education (EA1)
- Middle School and High School Education (EA2)
- Global, Distance, and Higher Educations (EA3)
- Collaborative and Game-Based Education (EA4)
- Social and Behavioral Education (EA5)
- Entrepreneurial, Informal and Maker Education (EA6)
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Information Technology Education (EA7)
- Learning Assessments (EA8)
- Language Applications (EA9)
- Capacity Building, Education, and Training for the Emerging Fourth Sector Eco-system (EA10)
- Other Education-Related Topics (EA11)
Energy and Power Systems (EW)
Environmental Technologies (CT)
- Water Treatment (CT7)
- Agricultural and Food Technologies (CT8)
- Environmental Health, Green Chemistry (C9)
- Resource Efficiency, Renewable Resources (CT10)
- Technologies for Extreme Environments (CT11)
- Environmental Security and Defense (CT12)
- Data Technologies, Sensing and Analytics for the Environment (CT13)
Information Technologies (IT)
- Stateless, Inc
- InsightFinder Inc.
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- DeepScale, Inc
- Bay Labs, Inc.
- KANDRA LABS INC
- GrokStyle Inc.
- Intentionet, Inc.
- Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Natural Language Processing (IT1)
- Image and Video (IT2)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT4)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT5)
- Networking Technology (IT6)
- Mobile Computing and Internet of Things (IT7)
- Cloud Computing and High-performance Computing (IT8)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT9)
- Big Data and Advanced Analytics (IT10)
- Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT11)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT12)
- Software (IT13)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (MI)
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- nView medical Inc.
- Chirp Microsystems
- Spheryx, Inc
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Characterization and Imaging (MI7)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection, Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (MI8)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems (MI9)
Internet of Things (IoT)
Medical Devices (MD)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Quantum Information Technologies (IT)
- Electronic Materials (S1)
- Electronic Devices (S2)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S3)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S4)
- Micro-electronics Packaging, Thermal Management, and Systems Integration (S5)