Since 2012, America’s Seed Fund powered by NSF has made nearly 3,000 awards to startups and small businesses. Since 2014, our awardees have had 97 exits and have received approximately $7.2 billion in private investment. We encourage you to explore this list of assorted companies we’ve funded.
We fund varied tech sectors.
Each year, we fund roughly 400 companies across nearly all technology and market sectors. Download a searchable PDF of the full list of technology topic areas that also includes descriptions of the subtopics.
Technology Topic Areas
Featured alumni and exits
- Ecovative Design LLC
- The Echo Nest Corporation
- Bluefin Lab, Inc.
- Bolt Threads (formerly Refactored Materials, Inc.)
- Ginkgo BioWorks
- Bioo Scientific Corporation
- Novan, Inc.
- Ekso Bionics, Inc.
- Blue River Technology Inc
Advanced Manufacturing (M)
- Construction Robotics, LLC
- 3DEO, Inc.
- Elementum 3D
- Branch Technology LLC
- Big Blue Technologies LLC
- XPEED Turbine Technology LLC
- unspun, Inc.
- Additive Manufacturing Components and Systems (M1)
- Bio-Inspired Manufacturing (M2)
- Cybermanufacturing (M3)
- Human-Centric Industrial Technologies (M4)
- Manufacturing Technologies (M5)
- Modeling and Simulation (M6)
- Personalized Manufacturing / Maker Manufacturing / Maker to Manufacturer (M7)
- Sustainable Manufacturing Technology (M8)
- Transportation Technologies (M9)
- Other Manufacturing Technologies (M10)
Advanced Materials (AM)
- Coatings and Surface Modifications (AM1)
- Materials for Sustainability (AM2)
- Metals and Ceramics (AM3)
- Multiferroics and Specialized Functional Materials (AM4)
- Structural and Infrastructural Materials (AM5)
- Other Advanced Materials Technologies (AM6)
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- AI-Optimized Hardware (AI1)
- Business Intelligence (AI2)
- Computer Vision, Image and Video Processing (AI3)
- Decision Management and Optimization (AI4)
- eCommerce (AI5)
- Human-Computer Interaction (AI6)
- Industrial Systems, including Robotics (A17)
- Language-Based Technologies (AI8)
- Machine Learning Algorithms and Platforms (A9)
- Medical Diagnostics (AI10)
- Advertising, Sales and Marketing (AI11)
- Security, Cybersecurity, and Authentication (AI12)
- Smart Agriculture (AI13)
- Vehicle-Based Systems (AI14)
- Virtual Agents and Assistants (AI15)
- Other AI Technologies (AI16)
Biological Technologies (BT)
- Lygos Inc.
- Antheia, Inc.
- ARZEDA Corp.
- Manus Biosynthesis, Inc.
- Navan Technologies Inc.
- Enable Biosciences Inc
- Living Ink Technologies, LLC
- APPLIED LIFESCIENCES & SYSTEMS POULTRY, INC.
- SYNVITROBIO INC
- Virtual Agents and Assistants (BT1)
- Bioinstruments (BT2)
- Biosensors (BT3)
- Cell and Biologics Manufacturing (BT4)
- Cell and Tissue Engineering (BT5)
- Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (BT6)
- Drug Discovery Platforms (BT7)
- Fermentation Technologies (BT8)
- Food and Food Safety Biotechnology (BT9)
- Life Science Research Tools (BT10)
- Plant Biotechnology (BT11)
- Synthetic Biology and Metabolic Engineering (BT12)
- Other Biological Technologies (BT13)
Biomedical Technologies (BM)
- LambdaVision, Inc.
- CytoVale, Inc
- Protein Dynamic Solutions, LLC
- Vaxess Technologies, Inc.
- Elidah, Inc.
- BriteSeed, LLC
- Arytha Biosciences, LLC
- OneBreath, Inc.
- Rochal Industries LLP
- Diagnostic Assays and Platforms (BM1)
- Drug Delivery (BM2)
- Materials for Biomedical Applications (BM3)
- Medical Imaging Technologies (BM4)
- Noninvasive Imaging of Brain Function (BM5)
- Pharmaceutical Manufacturing (BM6)
- Other Biomedical Technologies (BM7)
Chemical Technologies (CT)
- Modular Genetics, Inc.
- Saratoga Energy Research Partners LLC
- Dimensional Energy Inc.
- Ground Fluor Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- ZYMtronix Catalytic Systems Inc.
- Catalytic Products and Processes (CT1)
- Chemical Processes and Products (CT2)
- Data Technologies, Sensing and Analytics for Chemicals, and/or Energy (CT3)
- Energy Technologies (CT4)
- Hydrocarbons, Petrochemicals and Natural Resources (CT5)
- Power Generation and Infrastructure (CT6)
- Other Chemical Technologies (CT7)
Digital Health (DH)
- Radial Analytics, Inc.
- Guiding Technologies Corporation
- Care Progress, LLC
- HealthMyne, Inc.
- TAO Connect, Inc.
- Roundtable Analytics LLC
- Business Models for User-Centered Healthcare (DH1)
- Data to Decisions (DH2)
- Digital Health Information Infrastructure (DH3)
- Empowering Individuals and Communities (DH4)
- Interoperability of Health Record Systems, Medical Sensors, Devices, and Robotics (DH5)
- Other Digital Health Technologies (DH6)
Distributed Ledger (DL)
- Autonomous Systems and Economies (DL1)
- Blockchain, DAGs, and Next Gen Protocols (DL2)
- Convergence with Big Data, and AI (DL3)
- Convergence with IoT, Crowdsourcing and Crowdsensing (DL4)
- Cryptography and Security (DL5)
- Decentralized Applications (dApps); Smart Contracts (DL6)
- Distributed Consensus; Fault Tolerance Mechanisms (DL7)
- Distributed Ledger in Edge and Cloud Computing (DL8)
- Distributed Ledger Interoperability (DL9)
- Distributed Ledger in Network Architecture and Management (DL10)
- Financial Technologies (DL11)
- Human-to-Technology Interface (DL12)
- Scalability Solutions (DL13)
- Trusted Identity; Identity Management (DL14)
- Other Distributed Ledger Technologies (DL15)
Educational Technologies (EA)
- ThoughtSTEM, LLC
- Zyrobotics LLC
- Killer Snails, LLC
- Couragion Corporation
- Alchemie Solutions, Inc.
- Edify Technologies, Inc.
- Speak Agent, Inc.
- Looking Glass Ventures, LLC
- Capacity Building, Education, and Training for the Emerging Fourth Sector Eco-system (EA1)
- Collaborative and Game-Based Education (EA2)
- Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Information Technology Education (EA3)
- Entrepreneurial, Informal and Maker Education (EA4)
- Global, Distance, and Higher Education (EA5)
- Language Applications (EA6)
- Learning Assessments (EA7)
- Middle School and High School Education (EA8)
- Pre-K and Primary Education (EA9)
- Social and Behavioral Education (EA10)
- Other Education-Related Technologies (EA11)
Energy and Power Systems (EP)
Environmental Technologies (ET)
- Agricultural and Food Technologies (ET1)
- Data Technologies, Sensing, and Analytics for the Environment (ET2)
- Environmental Health and Green Chemistry (ET3)
- Environmental Security and Defense (ET4)
- Resource Efficiency and Renewable Resources (ET5)
- Technologies for Extreme Environments (ET6)
- Water Treatment (ET7)
- Other Environmental Technologies (ET8)
Information Technologies (IT)
- KANDRA LABS INC
- DeepScale, Inc
- InsightFinder Inc.
- Mental Canvas, LLC
- Stateless, Inc
- Intentionet, Inc.
- Big Data and Advanced Analytics (IT1)
- Cloud Computing and High-Performance Computing (IT2)
- Cloud-based IT Services (IT3)
- Cybersecurity, Authentication, and Privacy (IT4)
- Cybersecurity for the Internet of Things (IT5)
- Human-Computer Interaction, Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality (IT6)
- Image and Video (IT7)
- Mobile Computing and Internet of Things (IT8)
- Networking Technology (IT9)
- Social Media and Collaborative Networking (IT10)
- Software (IT11)
- Other Information Technologies (IT12)
Instrumentation and Hardware Systems (IH)
- 4 D Technology Corporation
- nView medical Inc.
- Chirp Microsystems
- Spheryx, Inc
- Molecular Vista, Inc.
- Massachusetts Materials Technologies LLC
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Imaging (IH1)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Characterization (IH2)
- Instrumentation or Hardware Systems for Detection, Actuation, Control, and Manipulation (IH3)
- Other Instrumentation or Hardware Systems Technologies (IH4)
Internet of Things (I)
Medical Devices (MD)
Other Topics (OT)
- Other Topics (OT1)
Quantum Information Technologies (QT)
- Human Assistive Technologies and Bio-related Robotics (R1)
- Human-Machine Interfaces and Control/Architecture (R2)
- Robotic Applications (R3)
- Robotics in Agile Manufacturing, and Co-Robots (R4)
- Other Robotics Technologies (R5)
- Electronic Devices (S1)
- Electronic Materials (S2)
- Integrated Circuit Design (S3)
- Micro-electronics Packaging, Thermal Management, and Systems Integration (S4)
- Processing and Metrology Technology (S5)
- Other Semiconductor Technologies (S6)
- Extra-terrestrial Resource Extraction (SP1)
- Geological and Geoclimatic Science Data Products and Services (SP2)
- Ground Launch Sites and Satellite Operations (SP3)
- In-space Manufacturing (SP4)
- Navigation and Positioning Services (SP5)
- On-Orbit Services (SP6)
- Remote Sensing Services (SP7)
- Space Transportation and Access (SP8)
- Spacecraft Development and Manufacturing (SP9)
- Telecommunications Services (SP10)
- Other Space-Related Technologies (SP11)
Wireless Technologies (W)